Sunday, August 8, 2010

Alps 2010 - Best of the Rest

I didn't manage to get up to the Col du Midi the following day as the weather came in. I was pretty concerned with the amount of precipitation that I wouldn't be able to find the gear.  I went up alone and the ridge had some powder on it which made it easier for me (I also used one of my poles which helped too).  As a result of the new snow the crevasses had been covered on the bank down to the col.  I refused the offer of roping up with two lads also on a retrieval mission and steamed down in the style you run down scree.  I stopped a couple of feet short of a covered crevasse, that would of made me look like a bit of a plonker after refusing the offer to tie in!  All the tents under the Cosmiques Hut were gone and I was worried I'd never find the gear.  The deep holes were just a couple of inches raised lump!  I started digging in one site but gave up and moved to another.  After digging down a couple of feet I found Chris's bag and proceeded to dig until I had all the gear.  Going back up the ridge was more unnerving in contemplation that actually doing it.  I had to step across to let 2 teams of 3 roped up people passed.  It's always nicer going up!  I got down and Chris had the gear packed up so I booked the ferry and we got on our way.  After dropping Chris off at St Albans I drove back to Telford and made it back just after 4am!

I've been very busy at work this week so I've not gotten around to putting up the best of the photos from my compact camera (I forgot to take the cable to Chamonix and couldn't get hold of one there).  Without further ado....

Cosmiques Arete

View from the ice cave exit to the Vallee Blanche

Wider initial part of the ridge to the Vallee Blanche

Steeper, narrower corner on the ridge - gives a good sense for the exposure!

Me posing on Cosmiques Arete

The largest of the Gendarmes

Chris and I under the crux

Me waiting to bring up Chris on the short crux pitch

The narrow section after the crux (I squeezed down it!)
Chris on the steeper chimney final section

Albert Premier Hut

Chris freezing on the chairlift, looks like Wales!

Me in a crevasse :)

Looking down the crevasse

Video of me in the crevasse on the Glacier du Tour

Chris starting out on the Glacier du Tour for Tete Blanche (~5am)

Chris seconding the Col du Tour

Chris in the Col du Tour

Since I've been back I've been busy with work and I've made a conscious decision to have a week off an physical activities as I've been at it hard for around 9 months!  This week I've been over indulging in food quantity and quality as well as alcohol.  I've been itching to get back into it but resisted as I think a break is a good thing.  I've got some more big goals in my mind and I'll put these up and my training ideas for the foreseeable future soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment