Monday, May 20, 2013

Fellsman 2013

Well, it's been some time since the Fellsman and although I mean to update this more often I've not got into the routine of it again just yet.  Thankfully I roped Jo into coming to Yorkshire with me.  I was worried about driving back and concerned that I might need someone to prop me up.

I think I'd built the event up in my own mind a lot.  I had plans to do the TMB and this was a qualification event that I wanted to get in my back pocket.  We stayed in a B&B the night before after arriving late, I slept ok but didn't eat that well the night before but started the day with a proper bowl of oats in the morning (not the normal instant microwave guff I eat at work).  I got stuck into the event and had a few ups and downs but nothing major.  During the night we crossed Fleet Moss en route to Cray.  I hadn't eaten for a while or taken any pain killers.  Part of the lack of eating was the fact I thought I only had 2 energy bars left - when I got home I had 4/5 - you don't check things properly when your tired!  The tendons in my right knee were sore and I'd gone over on my left ankle I think a few times so that was quite sore.  I was ok with all of that though.  As I came down off the hill I was looking forward to a closed tent to get warm - I'd started getting very cold.  Sadly the Cray checkpoint wasn't the best and the tent was wide open and I got colder and colder until I was shivering.  At that point the Doc checked me and suggest I quit as the next checkpoint was 6 hard miles.  I only had 1000ft and 15 miles left after climbing 10,000ft and travelling 45 miles.  I think it was 17hrs ish.  I warmed up soon enough when I got back.  I'm glad I dropped out as my right knee was quite creaky and my ankle was painful for a week after.  I think masking it with diclofenac wouldn't of made that any better!


After the first (biggest?) hill - Ingleborough


On the way up Whernside

I was ok after a cup of tea but felt cold for quite a while after.  There was no reception in the pub Jo was waiting at so she arrived around 6am, so I was looking forward to bed by that point!  I got back to the pub had a couple of hours sleep before the road in front of the pub was dug up!  Stihl saw and jack hammers!  I had scrambled egg and Jo drove us back.  My muscles felt ok Monday, I didn't ache too much.  Overall I was pleased with the performance - writing this retrospectively I've decided on a change of direction.





Looking forward to doing it again in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment