Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First trad lead! Climbing at Pontesford Rocks

Building on the the successes of Sunday I was keen to get out again so I packed my rack last night but wasn't sure if I could make it from Coventry to Pontesbury with time to get to the crag and get up something.  I checked on the net and had just under 76 miles to cover, leaving work at 5:30pm with sunset at 8:03pm.  I was guessing I had an hour to play with so I gave it the beans and got to the crag by 7pm.  I told Mick from the club that I wanted to have a go at leading and he recommended Oak Tree Wall Direct (VDiff).  Shortly after a new buy turned up (sorry if you read this, I'm crap with names!) and he offered to belay me.  The route was really nice, a bit more tricky than I'd expected for a VDiff but nothing hard at all. It was nice to be placing gear and getting a belay set up at the top, my second came up and we made it down the ropey decent route before it started to get dark so we called it a night and went to the pub.  I didn't get any photos, wish I'd taken my phone up as it was a nice view at dusk :( so I've pinched one off the free guide from http://www.westmidlandsrock.co.uk.


Oak Tree Wall Direct (VDiff) 

I can't wait to get out again!  I need to get something planned for the weekend, although I need to get some long runs in too, I really want to build up to running the Welsh 3000ers.  My mate Chris Ellis had a top rope set up with another couple of guys from the club on the Pontesbury Needle which looked like fun, I'll have to get back and have a go on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment