Sunday, April 18, 2010

First visit to Nesscliffe

I didn't manage to get out until Sunday afternoon and was joined by my mate Chris Ellis.  He wanted to go to Nesscliffe so we made our way over and decided to set up a couple of top ropes above Open Air (E3 5b) and Pot Noodle (E3 6a).  Setting up the top ropes was (excuse the pun) a bit ropey as its steep ground at the top of the cliff which is sandy (well it is sandstone!) and covered in fallen pine needles.  Suffice to say that I wasn't wearing brilliant footwear so I was a bit twitchy up the top!  We used a couple of trees for anchors and went back down to crack on.  

The first route; Open Air was really good, and I felt all the moves where very doable.  There was only one particularly bold move near the top to pull up to a mantle but with that done it eased out.  Me and Chris both completed this.


Chris just below the crux of Open Air (E3 5b)



Me on the first shelf of Open Air

After we both completed this route without too much complication we moved over to the other top rope we had set up on Pot Noodle (E3 6a).  This route was heavily focused on laying off and seemed to get harder as it went on.  Chris got up it (looking a bit undignified on the top shelf with his bum and legs hanging over lol) and then I had a crack.  I ran up the first half but got stuck and my feet started to hurt by the time I'd worked it out so I'll have to go back and finish this.  It was standing up on a thin edge to reach for a small crack to lay off.  By the time I'd got the footwork worked out it was too late :(  Lovely views from the top and a good afternoon.


Chris working the first layoff on Pot Noodle (E3 6a)


Chris just below where I got stuck on Pot Noodle

No comments:

Post a Comment