Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bloody Roaches

I had half a day off work today for my first visit to Roaches for my first taste of Gritstone.  I got there about 4ish I think and found Daz, Allister and Emma on the route next to Valkyrie which looks even more impressive in reality than in any photos I've seen.

I after they finished I paired up with Daz and I led Yong (HVD 4a **) which felt ok for the grade once I was used to trusting the friction.  I took Daz's and Chris's cams up so and placed about 5 I think.


Not sure what the guy is on but Yong (HVD 4a **) runs up the twin cracks from the bottom left corner of the picture

After this Daz and Allister went over to climb on Hen Cloud and whilst there are a few routes there I want to try (namely The Arete) I thought I'd stay with Emma and try something a bit more taxing and see what all this Gritstone business is all about.  We headed over to do Ackit (HVS 5b **), struth what a route!  It's a layback crack that goes around a buldge and then another tough crack to layback and get over.  Emma got up to the bulge but didn't have enough smaller cams and after a few good goes and a fall she had enough.  We set up a top rope and I tried it.  I finished it but what an absolute strain, I didn't make it look elegant in the slightest but what a cracking route and a great introduction to Grit, drawing some blood!


Me belaying Emma just below the first crux on Ackit (HVS 5 **)

After this ordeal (haha) I was sweaty and out of breath, this is different climbing and I really like it.  I kept thinking about Dom Whillans photo on his DVD with his sunglasses, beanie and fag while I was doing it and imagining him saying man up lol!


Don Whillans!  Reputation for being a hard nut and famous for routes at Roaches

After we got off I wanted to lead something and suggested going to Hen Cloud but instead Emma suggested Sifta's Quid (HS 4b *).  I started off and thought the route was going to be easy!  I originally intended to climb inside the hole but couldn't quite get through with all my gear and helmet on!


Me disappearing into Sifta's Quid (HS 4b *)

I quickly decided that I would have to go over the top and which point I realised it wasn't going to be that easy!  I faff about stepping up and jamming and coming back down about 4 or 5 times before I got it right as I couldn't get friction for my slab on the outer wall whilst doing the crux.  The trick is to push down with your palm and sort of shimmy up it.  I ended up using the front of my left shoe too but as soon as you get your right foot up you're golden :)


Graham at the crux of Sifta's Quid

After this route I was feeling a bit beat up and knackered.  Emma suggested setting up a top rope on Chalkstorm (E4 5c **) and I thought I'd be able to do it on a slab as I've been feeling confident on them recently but I found even on a top rope with how knackered I was feeling a bit chicken so I came down. Emma then did it as did Graham.   All in all a cracking crag and I can't wait to get back to bash myself up some more!  Given I'd done the Welsh 3's on Sunday I was pleased to finish the harder routes, oh and I saw one of the lads we'd walked with on the last leg on my first route!  Small world eh?

2 comments:

  1. Not so elegant myself on my first attempt on Sifta's Quid, but got the hang off it in the end. Fair play for you leading it, very bold but wouldn't mind doing that myself. You'll easily polish off Chalkstorm next time, just remember to 'Use the force', two directional that is with the hands lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I hadn't been on my arse after ackit I might of been bothered with Chalkstorm! Next time I'll hold the rope and you can lead Sifta's ;)

    ReplyDelete