Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dehydration & Ropey Top Ropes

Well it's been another week of no real running to be honest.  I've been feeling tired and crappy and thought that a rest would do me good.  I generally don't put up all my running on here as it would be rather boring to read about, more just when I go somewhere interesting or if I do a race but I generally have been running 3-4 times a week.  I figured that enough was enough and that I should just man up and get out on Friday night.  I didn't end up going until about 10pm and ran around Ironbridge, I did 6.5 miles ish averaging a shocking 10 minute/mile pace.  It was still very, very hot and after about 3 miles my kidneys were aching, I figure that this is because of the tiredness I've been mostly drinking coffee - not good!  I noticed that my pee wasn't a good colour and I've been drinking lots more since.  I've not been feeling that good mentally about running recently and as a result my diet hasn't been good either so I'm keen to kick all this back into touch running and lunchtime tomorrow.  I've got a 4 mile race planned for Wednesday so hopefully that will see me in good stead for that.

I had planned to go out climbing with the club today, but at 6am when the alarm went off I couldn't be bothered frankly so I thought I'd go somewhere local instead.  I've been eyeing up a crag on the UKC database called Harmer Hill just above Shrewsbury but closer than Grinshill so I gave my brother in law a call and we headed down before Sunday dinner.  After a bit of walking around we found the crag and decided to have a go at Pugwash Handwash (5a), an attractive line of a crack running up the left hand side of a buttress.


Pugwash Handwash (5a)

You can't tell from this photo but there is nowhere above this route to set up a tope rope.  I didn't fancy leading something like this on sandstone so I somewhat stupidly set up a rope about 3 or 4 metres to the left.  Me and Lee both thought that as long as we got past half way we'd be ok if we had an off.  I couldn't get around the buldge, or more appropriately didn't feel comfortable doing it with the top rope situation but Lee had more balls and got over it to just before the top.  At this point he said he was pumping out/losing grip and that he was going to come off.  He swung down and with stretch nearly hit the deck :(  He spun around and hit his head (sans helmet of course because the top rope was so safe :( ), which although there was a bit of blood, didn't really cut.  I felt like a bit of a numpty as I should of known better.  A lesson learned!


Lee's head after smacking it!

It started thundering and then chucking it down shortly after so we returned for some roast beef :)  Harmer Hill was quite a dirty crag and missing some crucial places for anchors but it could be an awesome crag with a bit of care.

No comments:

Post a Comment