Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bala Challenge

I spent a little time Friday evening after work sorting out the route using Where's the path? and had it put on my Garmin Forerunner 305 (gps watch) ready although once I had it sorted out and my bag packed I didn't get to sleep until about 1am.  I keeping saying that I wanted to do a blog post on how I use the site with the watch but I'm too tired to do a good job of it now.  The Bala Challenge started at 8am for walkers and 9am for runners, I arrived at 9:30 as per normal; late!

On the event: Pleasant course which was well marked out with yellow tape where there was any doubt over direction which combined with the Forerunner meant I didn't have to refer to a map or instructions once although I did have to stop and think a couple of times.  The stewards were really friendly although as with all LDWA events they aren't the greatest when you ask for times or positions!  There was a great selection of grub on at the first checkpoint (the end of the 8 mile course) although I didn't fancy it and stuck to my gels and energy bars.  I think I have discovered that I can't run on gel's alone.  I haven't counted the gels yet but I found they did me well and I had about a quarter of an energy bar which helped settle my stomach a bit.  I drank about 2 litres of water with nuun which a friend recommended to me whilst doing the Bullock Smithy and I have to say although its a little expensive I'm pretty sold.  The course was scenic and undulated, after the final checkpoint it became much easier (even the "murder hill" as it's referred to in the guide wasn't too bad).  Over all a nice course and a very well organised event (the short 8 mile would be good for families).

Anyway over all I'm quite pleased.  When I got off the ridge and to the second checkpoint (same as the third) I was pleased to hear 10 people had done it already.  As I got to the third and final checkpoint I was told that only 25 people had passed through (including the 14 mile course).  I passed at least 20 people and of that I'd say at least 5 who had done the ridge too so that should put me in the top 5 although because of the staggered start I may of finished ranked higher on time and I was told I was 1 hour off the course record.  The fact there wasn't many runners this year or that gaining an hour isn't an easy thing is neither here nor there - I'm chuffed.  It also meant that I felt really confident and happy to keep passing people and have nobody pass me for my first go at running an LDWA event.  Below is an embedded view from Garmin Connect of my watch recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment