Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Climbing on the sea cliffs of Cornwall

I ended up going down to Cornwall on my own as Kate couldn't make it, so I left straight from work in Coventry for the drive down to Land's End.  By midnight I'd got 50 miles left on the A30 and knew I wouldn't be setting the tent up so I pulled into a layby and got some shut eye.  Saturday morning I woke up at 8:30 after having a surprisingly good nights kip in my bucket seat!  I had a text from Dave Bowler telling me to head down to Sennen and arrived about an hour later to find Dave and Sally on Demo Route (HS 4b ***) and Paul and Rebecca on Intermediate Route (VDiff).


Dave on what I think is the crux of Demo Route (HS 4b ***)


Rebecca toping out on Intermediate Route (VDiff)

After this I was keen to get down and get stuck in!  Look at the place, it's gorgeous and the granite rock is so inviting - its got sooo much friction, even when wet.  We abseiled down into the crag and I teamed up with Paul and Rebecca to try Banana Flake (VDiff *) by the time we got down there Dave and Sally had already done the first pitch of Double Overhang (VS 4c *).  Paul took the lead and then took up Rebecca up before I followed.  I finished the route more direct rather than going left at the top.



Me belaying Paul on Banana Flake (VDiff *)

After this route I was busting to take a lead and decided on Black Slab (VDiff *) so we abseiled back into the crag and I set off.  I found the chimney a bit daunting at the time but not technically difficult.  I travelled a bit too far up the chimney and finished the route very direct as apposed to the route description of moving left.  This was a fun route and I was really stoked.


Me placing gear after leaving the slab section of Black Slab (VDiff *)

After this Paul and Rebecca went to the cafe and I was going to follow Sally and Dave up Staircase (Diff *) but Stewie and Matt aka Chink (of Life at the end of a rope fame).  Chink flew up Africa Route (VS 5a *) and I followed.  This has a very stiff start and after ignoring Stewie's "just stand up advice" and following the advice of a local (look for the "black knob") I was on my way.  I found the chimney a bit tough to get on to and very committing!  After I'd "made it" I squeezed through another chimney and added another battle scar to my Mammut Basejumper trousers (I get enough comments on my shiny rack, so at least something is well worn!).  Stewie followed and we retired to the campsite for a Steak and a few jars of local Doombar ale :)


Chink flying up Africa Route (VS 5a *)

No comments:

Post a Comment