Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cornwall part 3!

Well things were going so well, I was keen to strike up another lead wherever we ended up and today that was Bosigran.  We ended up on the bit with Alison Rib overlooking Commando Ridge.  The sea colour under Commando ridge was an amazing turquoise and seemed to change as the tide did.  It's easy to be mesmerized by the beauty of the place!  Anyway, Sally wanted to lead Alison Rib (Diff *) which was a nice route.


Sally leading Alison Rib (Diff *)

The climbing around Bosigran in this area didn't seemed so sustained so the pitches were broken up.  After completing the second pitch is was my turn to lead and I picked In-Between (VDiff.  This route seemed quite direct and came up under an overhang which took me a while to pluck up the courage to move over as it was quite exposed and I only had a number one nut under the overhang in sideways for protection.  The hands felt awkward and there didn't seem a lot to grab above or anything bomber for your feet either!  After this I took the route as direct as possible to the top of the first pitch of Alison Rib. I was so relieved to get passed the overhang that I took the following photo which doesn't do the exposure any justice!  I'm guessing Dave (in the green helmet to the left of where the red rope disappears is a few meters back from the base of the wall).


Looking back whilst leading In-Between (VDiff)

After topping out I went up the next pitch but trending to the groove on the right which looked harder.  This wasn't too bad but involved a step around and over.  I'd say the route was worth a star (at least the way I did it!)


Me leading a variation on the second pitch of In-Between (VDiff)

After this Sally went back to the car for a Cream Tea down the road so me and Dave decided to do a route with our rucksacks rather than walking out.  I think this was Fasolt (VDiff).  It was a different experience climbing with a rucksack, I've done it on ice but without as much weight.  This route seemed a bit polished in places!


Dave leading Fasolt (VDiff)

We followed up the path back to the car, as you can see it was cracking weather and I loved cornwall and would go back in a second even with the colossal drive!  When we got back to the car park Sally had been for her cream tea and highly recommended it so I thought it an apt way to finish the trip!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment